Sunday, September 19, 2010

September 12, 2010 - Day Four

SUNDAY - DAY FOUR
THE CONFERENCE BEGINS The conference actually begins today. We registered days ago though, so we still have time to do our own thing. I took the above photo. The lodge was supposed to be in the background, but my arm isn't long enough! Another traveler saw us and offered to take our photo. It's a couple of photos below...
I had a lot of fun taking macro shots of the flowers.
This is probably not native, but part of the landscaping.

And we spotted this Grizzly Security vehicle parked near the kitchens.

Here is the picture with the lodge in the background.
I wore my glasses this day for some reason.

Phil on one of the many verandas.

We watched for the morning train to get a picture and we were treated to this special car at the end of the train! (Southern Business Observation Car). Phil had the binoculars too so we got to see right into the windows. We heard later that some people (from our group) actually walked out on the tracks to get pictures and got in a lot of trouble. We heard lots of scorn for those bad kids, making these train guys look bad. Later, during one of the lectures, two little white haired ladies that were presenting a lecture about Louis Hill confessed it was them!
They were just overwhelmed by the urge to get the perfect picture!

More piano music. The pianist started playing Christmas music because he wanted to imagine being there at Christmas (it is totally closed after the end of September).


We walked into town for lunch and took photos of some of the cute motels available.


And there are goats everywhere!

The main activities today were a model competition and photo competition. There was also a "rail fair" where people sold various train related memorabilia. I enjoyed both of these activities. I bought some postcards and a pin. I liked the train china but it was SO expensive!

This is the Whitefish Depot.
We saw the real thing from the train Friday morning during breakfast....

Phil is voting on his favorite caboose...
...
We loafed around some more and then went into town for dinner.
We went to the Glacier Village restaurant and had a most yummy dinner. I had chicken in huckleberry barbecue sauce, Phil had Broasted Chicken! I also got a bowl of bison chili, and I would have been happy with just a big bowl of that. It was very good.
...
We had to hurry back to town for the first lectures. "History of Glacier National Park". This was a powerpoint slide show. The second was an old retired bus driver "jammers" they call them, relating his adventures as a young man driving the tour buses "Jamming through Glacier". Then we sat by the fire and skipped the last lecture. I think I'm a bad influence.

...The sun is shining and its easy to find a sunny spot on the veranda.
My nose continues to burn but I don't care.











No comments:

Post a Comment