Thursday, May 5, 2011

Hummus anyone?

I like to make hummus once in a while. Walker and I like it, especially with salty tortilla chips! Phil recently gobbled a good share of some I made, even though he had recently scorned it.


My basic Hummus recipe:

1 can garbanzo beans (chickpeas). Drain, but reserve liquid


2 tsp minced fresh garlic


4 tsp olive oil


4 tsp lemon juice


1/2 tsp salt


Puree, adding reserved liquid as desired. You want it thin enough to puree, but thick enough to sit on a chip without dripping.


Let flavors blend for a while.


Serve with pita bread, fresh vegetables, or tortilla chips.


I served it recently with Trader Joe's vegetable chips - delicious!

optional ingredients:



I like to add red pepper flakes.

I have also added Trader Joe's sesame oil (a teaspoon).

I sprinkled mint leaves on top too.

Some people add tahini.



Its very delicious and a great appetizer.


If you try it, let me know what you think.

1 comment:

  1. I'm certainly going to take the recipe!. Maybe I'll make it for next weekend for granddaughter Tylen's third birthday celebration. I have some tahini on hand from the last not-so-successful try at hummus.

    ReplyDelete