Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Something juicy?

I haven't posted anything for a few days. I've been pondering several subjects, but what I most like to write about is just what is happening with me and my family. I guess reading my blog is kind of like noticing someone's DIARY lying about and opening it and READING it...maybe something juicy will show up!
We have had a lot of fun keeping up with Walker's activities at school. Yes, he is working, filming the football team. Walker, who never watched a football game in his life before this job, suddenly knows what is going on, and enjoying it! His team (the Hillsdale Chargers) won their first game! Against the toughest team in their league. He films practices on Wednesdays and the Saturday Football games, home and away.


The first week of school, the annual NAVAL BATTLE IN THE ARBORETUM takes place. Walker has participated every year so far. They start building cardboard ships as soon as school starts. They find people to donate money to purchase duct tape to seal them all up with. There are two teams, the British and the Spanish (or the British and the Pirates). The idea is to paddle their boat to one side of the pond and back, before it disintegrates! Walker doesn't go out in the boats (only freshmen are that dumb!). It is a great fun activity to launch off the school year.


This year is W's first year in his own apartment too. I hoped to have photos of that, but they are still locked inside his cell phone, but someday...


Don't think all he does is play. He works hard too. His class schedule is:


Beginning Greek

Roman Civilization

Literature - Roman Republic

Greek Literature Translation

American Literature: Life and all Writings of Robert Frost

Class Guitar lessons

Private Guitar lessons

Personally I don't know how he does it all! He is also helping grade school students with their reading, participating in the mu alpha fraternity - serenades, head of the bass singing group.


Anyway, enough about Walker at school for now... radical subject switch!

...cause when the cat's away.... This is what I made for dinner tonight. potato-beetgreen-garlic mash... I made it tonight because I have been wanting to try it, and I KNOW Phil hubby would not be impressed. It is DELICIOUS!!! Potatoes boiled, beet greens in 2" slices thrown in with the potatoes the last ten minutes...Put a garlic clove, minced, some butter, some half & half or milk, mash it all together - add salt. I could eat this every day! The stems of the beet greens put a delicate bite in the mashed potatoes - the flavors blend beautifully. It reminds me a little of my granddaughter's Irish Potato dish with cabbage in it.








3 comments:

  1. YuM! (Although my hubbie would likely turn his nose up at it, too....)
    Thanks for the update about Walker. He has a FULL life right now and making memories that he will cherish forever.

    ReplyDelete
  2. YUM! I would eat that! It's pretty too!

    I am so proud of Walker! He's so awesome! I like to tease Jonah about being a nerdy homeschooler, but deep down I can't think of anything I would rather he be! He was cracking me up last night telling me about his classes and the stuff he's learning. He totally reminded me of Walker! I think he may have the gift of teaching... So glad Walker's school year is going well and it's so cool that he can take guitar and get college credit for it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah, I'd have to agree, Freshman are a little dumb, I'd do it! :) (I'm a freshman, or as I like to call it, Freshie) :)

    ReplyDelete