Friday, September 23, 2011

work, walk, eat...

I got up extremely ambitious this morning! I think I had been dreaming about housework. I changed the sheets on the bed, did a load of laundry, cleaned both bathrooms, vacuumed the downstairs. Then I tackled the fridge... The beets have been piling up. I do like them, just not EVERY night! So I did a little research yesterday and discovered I can cook them up, dice them, freeze them, and eat them at my leisure...so I cooked 7 BIG beets this morning. . .

I diced them up. They filled my biggest mixing bowl. And my hands were RED! I cooled them and put them in freezer bags, it didn't look like nearly as much when they were laid out flat. But, that job is done now!


So, what should I do with all these onions? Probably I can just store them and they'll be good for a long time. Or, I might caramelize them and freeze them for future recipes. I'm going to do something with them tomorrow!

Once I got all that stuff done, we went for a walk. Phil and I each injured ourselves slightly during the summer and we haven't been for a hike/walk in a long time. We started at Marathon park at Capital Lake...


This is the first time I've seen a train on these tracks in a long long time! Then we wanted to see what was new over at Percival Landing. They have been renovating the boardwalk for some time and we hadn't seen what they did yet.


It was beautiful. There were lots of sculptures, the boardwalk is now concrete, there are two beautiful roofed areas to hide from the sun or the rain, and a big new community center building. It looks extremely extravagant. A great tourist area now.


We liked this sculpture. Phil recognized all the tools that were used for this. It's hard to see in my photo, but there are three little men made of railroad spikes holding it all up.


And another one we liked. There were several more. Pretty modern artsy but interesting to look at. That was quite a walk, a couple of miles I think. It made us very hungry, so we went to a Mexican Restaurant for lunch... Tacos?


And to round out our physical day, we went to Winco to try grocery shopping there. If you've been there you know what I mean - its big! We must have walked another mile. We did like it. Its pretty far from our regular routes, but we did have fun pushing the shopping cart around and trying to remember the prices for stuff we usually buy.


One more stop at the used paperback store. We must have been getting tired because Phil didn't find anything he wanted and I only found one book - .50.













2 comments:

  1. What a great great day! I know I owe you a couple emails...I tried to go grocery shopping today and Jonathan threw up in Trader Joe's...i didn't get any groceries! Crazy day! :o)

    ReplyDelete
  2. If you get any more beets, they are delicious roasted - shrivel up a lot. I made a Russian beet salad that's a lot like potato salad made with diced potatoes, peas, celery, onion, mayo and a dab of horseradish. Very pink and pretty. Add more seasonings however you like them.

    ReplyDelete