Wednesday, December 7, 2011

Once Upon a Christmas - the seventh Day

I recently bought this book "Once Upon a Christmas" at a thrift store for $3. I have always enjoyed Pearl Buck's writing, most of her books taking place in China, where she grew up as a missionary's child. My grandmother introduced me to "The Good Earth" when I was young, and launched a love of historical novels as well as Pearl Buck novels. I even own her two books "The Bible - Old Testament" and "The Bible - New Testament" both of which Walker and I read during homeschooling. I was planning to send it to my granddaughter, but have gotten caught up in the short stories inside. I think I'll still get it to her before Christmas, but the stories have already influenced how I feel about Christmas and triggered memories of Christmases past.
I've been listening to lots of Christmas music in my car. We have so many cd's I have to carefully plan the season so I can listen to everything a few times. This week I am listening to the Vienna Boy Choir (love it!) and Manheim Steamroller. Manheim Steamroller is the music I would "allow" early in the season (mainly instrumentals). I no longer have any "rules" like that!


I want to share my recipe for SEASONED BEEF JERKY. I forget where I got this recipe originally - a magazine I think. I've made it several times, usually around Christmas. It would make a good gift, if you can part with it!
Seasoned Beef Jerky:
A chunk of beef (like round steak, or chuck steak - something inexpensive)
Slice beef into strips 1/4 inch thick. (easiest if somewhat frozen) Marinate for one day in:
MARINADE:
1/4 cup soy sauce
1/4 tsp pepper
1/2 tsp onion powder
1 tsp seasoned salt
1/4 tsp garlic powder
1/2 tsp liquid smoke
1 T Worcestershire
I usually put the sliced steak into a ziploc and add the marinade. Refrigerate overnight.
Preheat oven to 175 degrees; lay strips of meat on cake racks over cookie sheets. cook slowly for 5-6 hours. Remove from oven, blot with paper towels, cool, and store in glass jars or plastic bags. I always refrigerate it but I don't think its necessary. Wouldn't it make good camping snacks too?

1 comment:

  1. I love Mannheim Steamroller. Your post reminds me to add their music to my collection!

    ReplyDelete