Saturday, December 3, 2011

The Third of December

Today was our Santa Train ride (Mt. Rainier Scenic Railroad). But before that, I put together this "bunting". I never knew what a bunting was before, but according to my sources, this is one.

Don't tell the book police, but I bought a used Little Golden Book of Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer, and cut out triangles from the pages. I love this one - the illustrator is Richard Scarry - you know, the busy towns and Lowly Worm and CousCous the Algerian Detective? This Rudolph was from 1958, well before he was "famous". Anyway, I just cut out the triangles, inked the edges, stitched them together with rick rack, and hung it up. I like it. And it was quick.

Suddenly we had to get ready to go...
Mt. Rainier was beautiful on the way.
We went to Elbe to catch the train.
We were kind of late arriving. We got behind some really slow people on curvy roads. Then Phil had to make up for lost time and it was "hold on to your seat - it's Mr. Toad's wild ride!!!" When we arrived, the Hammer Clan was taking group photos with Santa in front of the train engine.
It was chilly and sunny.
The clansmen all had fun talking and teasing.
Phil had to dash in for our tickets...See my handsome cowboy date? I was not dressed up in period attire, but I did wear a black suede jacket and a red silk scarf around my neck.
Our travelling car.
Decorated and Christmas music blasting.
Somehow, unbelievably, I talked Phil into posing on Santa's lap with me! However, my photographer wasn't able to hold the camera very still. It was a very bouncy jiggly ride!
This is the kind of views we had out our windows. All countryside, streams, moss covered trees and branches. And by the time we would be riding by Mt. Rainier - it was all socked in with clouds, just like last year.
But we still had our fun on the train.
I took this from near the back of the train, as the front went around a curve. Yikes, looks like that orange car is about to topple over! No wonder it was so hard to navigate up and down the aisles!
Afterwards, we all ate dinner in the train dining car (not part of the actual train, but remodeled into a restaurant). Burgers and stuff. So delicious after a hard day on the train!
This is turning into a fun annual event. The best part is the guys all dressed in their cowboy gear - hats, gun belts, guns, spurs, boots, badges, scarves, dusters. OK, maybe next year I'll try harder to fit in - a hat at least; maybe I can find a black coat to wear over my jeans.

2 comments:

  1. Do it! Dress up! You two would look so adorable together!! I picture worth framing I bet! Phil looks GREAT! What a fun tradition!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Train ride looks like fun! I love your new blog banner. It really goes thematically with your own Christmas bunting and banners.

    ReplyDelete