Saturday, November 20, 2010

Bazaar, an emotional moment (or two), an Estate Sale

Today Claudia and I went to the Elma Fairgrounds Holiday Bazaar. She has a friend with a table there and she offered to let us sell our few things from her table. Her friend is a seasoned salesperson (this is her 9th bazaar) and she shared lots of information and observations with us. I wandered around with my camera, not planning to photograph anyone's art work (I know better!) but every time I got my camera out I got a lecture from someone nearby that I must ask permission first! Finally I got the hint and put my camera away. There was so much great stuff going on, but apparently the vendors are afraid of copyright infringement!

This was our part of the table. Nothing sold for the first hour! Ugh. But later, lots of our stuff sold. It was fun. There was so much competition! But not for the same exact products luckily.


There were three rooms full of vendors, it was well publicized, and lots and lots of buyers!


When we were getting ready to leave, I took Claudia over to show her something spectacular I saw earlier (hand made purses for $115), we admired those, and were heading out when another vendor called us over. She wanted to talk to Claudia. You know Claudia is still waiting for her hair to grow in, so she was wearing a bandana and her "Fight Like a Girl" t-shirt. This vendor called her over and asked "are you in treatment?" Claudia said "just finished" and the vendor said "I want you to have this" gave her a pink "dream catcher" from her wares. A total stranger! Claudia accepted graciously. I choked back tears! Then we went to another spot, and the lady there asked if she was in treatment, same thing, and she pulled out two fuzzy hats and said "One of these is for you!". More gulping back emotions. So nice. Total strangers. Claudia said "lets get out of here"... She said that happens to her a lot. There are some very thoughtful people out there! It was heartwarming to see total strangers reach out to my sister. And I am thankful for that.
***
Then on our way home we saw an estate sale and we visited that. Nothing hugely exciting, but everything in the Estate sale was $1. I spent $2, so did Claudia. We came home and had a cup of coffee before she had to head home.
***
A nice day.
***
Oh and I checked the Hillsdale site and the Chargers lost their football game so the season is ended just like that. It's been pretty intensive for Walker this year and I think he will appreciate the break now.



1 comment:

  1. Wow! What a great day! I'm so glad you sold some stuff! It looks like it was so much fun!

    That's so sweet about Claudia! I would have been choked up too!

    Love you!

    ReplyDelete