Saturday, November 27, 2010

Saturday November 28

I got out for some holiday shopping today. The stores were pretty busy. I don't think I've ever started so early (is this early?) but I do enjoy looking at the new ornaments in the stores.
We had two nice turkey leftover dinners since Thanksgiving. The first night I made a layered casserole with mashed potatoes on the bottom, then peas, then turkey, then stuffing. After it baked together, we poured gravy over the top and had it with vegetables. Very yummy! And not quite as overwhelming as Thanksgiving dinner! Tonight I made turkey cakes, kind of like salmon patties, but with turkey and sweet potatoes, cheese, onions, a little oatmeal. Fried in olive oil and more gravy on top, with the last of the leftover carrots and green beans. Very delicious.
***
W. called us from Washington Illinois on Thanksgiving day, and the day after from Grand Rapids, Iowa. He is getting around! They are headed back to campus now. I think he has eaten a lot of good food and seen a lot of the country.
***
I lived in Mason City, Iowa for 6 months when I was about Walker's age. I don't remember it as being so pleasant, but maybe that's because I was there during the summer months.
***
Slowly the Fall decorations are getting put away, and the Christmassy ones taking their place. There is Christmas music playing on the cd player right now.

It feels like a lovely long vacation with the days at home due to the snow and ice, then the holiday, then the weekend. Very nice. I hope your long weekend has been nice too.

No comments:

Post a Comment