Sunday, March 14, 2010

3.14 - pi day...

This day didn't turn out as nice as was predicted, but at least it didn't rain. We went downtown Olympia (again!) and wandered about, ending up in an antique shop. It had been years since we'd been in that antique store so it was quite interesting. Then Phil got a phone call and we had to hurry back to our car. I snapped this picture when we were almost back to the car. I've never really cared for this statue that much, but I wanted to get the Olympics and there they were. I like it better now...
And we stopped momentarily by the fountain to get these blossoming trees with the Capitol in the background. You can see what a black and white kind of day it is. Phil needed to meet a friend and he dropped me off at JoAnn's with a plan to meet up again at Borders. That turned out to be really fun to browse JoAnns for 45 minutes, then go to Borders for coffee and a Spinach cheese omlette sandwich. I ran into Phil's sister there too! We stayed a little longer and he helped me drink my latte before heading on home. On the way home we made a deal: If Phil would build a nice fire I would bake cookies. I made "blondies". Its one of our favorites but I haven't made them since Walker went away to school! Now I know why! -- I won't have to make dinner tonight! : ) Anyway, W called shortly after, and reported on his Regency Ball and e-mailed us this sketch he made for the Mu Alpha frisbee tournament.... (the Eagle is flaming, and has a frisbee in his claws; the emblem at the bottom is a lyre with a crown on top, the emblem of the Mu Alphans).

The Regency Ball was fun in spite of a lack of sleep going on. Everyone dressed up, they would teach the group a dance, a dance would happen, and then they'd teach a new dance. They served punch, truffles, cucumber sandwiches. He said some people dressed in period costume, but mostly girls. The guys would have had to wear high heels with buckles on their shoes, knee stockings, short pants, and ruffly front shirts... That would take quite a confident man!



4 comments:

  1. What beautiful pictures you take! This makes me want to start a new nature journal. I completed one a couple of years ago, and I really enjoyed it. Our daffodils are blooming and the little red-headed woodpecker that favors our sycamore tree has come back again this year. I just heard him the other morning, and was thinking, "If I was keeping a nature journal, I would be writing about that right now." I guess I need to quit thinking about it and get busy!
    To answer your question about me starting a blog, that's something else I keep thinking about. But at this point in my life, I don't know how I would squeeze it in. Maybe some time in the future, when my littlest one gets out of the "messing in everything" stage. Autumn Joy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Autumn Joy! I know where you're at! I had my third child when other two were teenagers! So I really spread out my mothering years. But eventually there's lots of time to do those things. (A little secret: I have a second blog, just for ME! More of a journal of the artsy stuff I do. I never could keep up on a regular written journal, but this I do!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. What fun! I love all the pictures you take~ Love you~
    Tirzah.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Tirzah, I miss you too and you know I take these pictures just for YOUR entertainment, so I'm glad you like them!

    Hugs,

    Grandma

    ReplyDelete