Friday, March 12, 2010

March 12 - date night!

We looked on line for a movie to go to this afternoon, but just couldn't find something we both were excited to see - no chick-flick romantic comedy action packed with explosions movies! So we decided to take a gift card we received and go to Olive Garden for dinner. We got to Olive Garden and it was packed! people spilling out the doors packed! We didn't even ask how long, we just went to Papa Murphy's and brought home a pizza instead. I had time to go to the library today and pick up a couple of books I had reserved: True Vision is an artist journal book. Very cool and tons of great ideas. I have a couple of art journals started, some of the pages I have posted here and this will give me lots more ideas. The Journals of Dan Eldon is not exactly what I expected, but very interesting. Dan Eldon was war photojournalist who was killed in Somalia, but for his personal enjoyment he put together art journals of his daily life, filled with photos, tickets, memorabilia, his own personal artwork, etc. The Metropolitan Miniatures book is really a box, with 6 little booklets inside with miniature pictures of famous paintings from the Metropolitan Museum. Very charming and sweet. My mom and dad bought it for me at an antique store (for $1 they say!).

This Lobster sign just reminds me of W. He called tonight with lots of news. For any newcomers who don't know the story, he is in his first year at Hillsdale College, in Michigan. Monday he is signing up for the Fall Semester classes and this is his plan: Anglo Saxon and Medieval British Literature (Like Beowulf in the original language), Roman Civilization; U.S. Constitution; Intermediate Latin. Those are his main academic classes. He is also taking choir, Drawing, Shotgun (P.E.), and a long weekend class called "The Art of Rhetoric". This week he got to listen to a lecture by Mark Steyn, on political correctness. He said that was really good. Tomorrow he has a date for the Regency Ball, where the dress is formal, and they will learn to dance the dances out of the Regency period. (Would that be like in a Jane Austin novel?). He has lots of homework too.


One last thing, yesterday as I was leaving home, I drove by a neighbor's house and was shocked to see 3 ambulances and a fire chief vehicle in front. That was the house of the neighbor who used to babysit W when he was a toddler and is still a good family friend. I worried all day and when I got home Phil phoned their house to see if there was anyone home (I was too scared to call) - all was well. The Mr. had an attack of vertigo and they didn't know what it was so they called 911. They don't know why they sent so many cars! It was a good reminder to keep in touch with our good friends as we never know which visit could be the last!



2 comments:

  1. W's classes are amazing! Wow! It is good that I am teaching them a little Latin! I hope he gets a picture of himself all dressed up at his formal!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Unfortunately he never gets photos! I just have to accept it but you know how hard that is for me to do!

    ReplyDelete