Thursday, March 11, 2010

March 11, 2010 - thrift store finds...

First of all, I discovered I have FIVE followers! Thank you all! I just named my blog on my facebook account too so other people can visit if they have an interest. I love posting to my blog because it reminds me of all the wonderful friends I have and the nice things that fill my days.
.....

This first picture isn't a thrift store find, it is an object 'd art that I made in a class I took at Art & Soul over a year ago. It was a really fun and interesting class, the teacher brought in about 25 decks of cards all with different "backs". We were invited to just dive in and make things. This is what I made, practically copying exactly an example the teacher had for us to look at. Its a little fuzzy because I didn't want to use my flash - it has a plastic cover on it, but there is a layer with the bicycling cherubs and a larger card over that, with cutouts from cards, and its hard to see, but diamond-y bling sprinkled around the edges. ...which is why I bought this interesting deck of cards at Goodwill today! They are "low vision" cards, but so unique I couldn't resist. I can use them in collages or in cards I design...BUT...I discovered they STINK! Like cigarette smoke. I will just have to copy them onto cardstock if I want to use them. And keep them in an airtight baggie in the meantime!
I couldn't resist this bit of original art at Goodwill either. It is the size of a potholder, but I don't really think it was meant to be a potholder. The fabrics in it are unique and Asian looking. I don't know what I'll do with it exactly, maybe put my cup of tea on it.
I had a nice visit with my nutritional therapist sister today. I went to pick up supplements for W, but I always come away with so much more.
.....
On Monday W gets to register for classes for the Fall Semester. This is the kind of thing that is like eating chocolate to the rest of us! He wants them all!
.....

3 comments:

  1. Hi mom! So what exactly is that first piece of art for? I'm trying picture how you display it or use it? It's lovely anyway, like everything you do!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Actually you have six followers, soon to be seven. I just recommended both of your blogs to my sister and I know she'll love them, too. I came over to your blog from My Life on a Taffy Pull. I absolutely love both of your blogs. I seem to have a lot in common with Mrs. Taffy. I have 5 children and I home school and do a lot of home cooking for them. And because my oldest just graduated last year and we had our last two years ago, sometimes I feel a little sad and the thought crosses my mind, "What will I do when they're all grown and gone." And that's why I like YOUR blog so much. I love that you say, "My nest is empty but my life is full." You've shown me that there absolutely IS life after the kids have gone. You seem to have so much fun! Like you I love to craft and scrapbook. Thank you so much for such an enjoyable, inspiring blog! Autumn Joy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you Autumn and Welcome! Now I know TWO Autumns! I'm so glad you enjoy visiting. When are you going to start your own blog? Its not hard. If I can do it ....

    ReplyDelete