Saturday, August 13, 2011

585th Post!

I have been running this blog for about two years. I started it when we got back from taking Walker to school two years ago. Its been great fun for me, and I hope interesting for my followers to read, at least most of the time. I have recently spent some time going back one year on my blog, to see what we were doing this time last year. It's pretty interesting, and surprising all the fun things you forget! For me, its the perfect journal/diary.

A week or so ago, I got this idea I have been spending TOO much time in the kitchen and at the grocery store. I do like to make tasty meals for my family, don't get me wrong. I just don't necessarily enjoy all the preparation, cleanup and planning on a daily basis. I am going to try to do most of my cooking on the weekends now. You know, really cook a meal from scratch on Friday, Saturday, Sunday; but at the same time make another meal to be frozen and served later in the week. With Walker back at school, it seemed like a good time to start... I bought the above "plate" at Goodwill today. I don't know what its mean for, but in my kitchen, its a write-on, wipe-off menu board.

I also bought this nice wire rack at Goodwill (.99) and it is perfect for storing four (of my many dozens) of my most used cookbooks on my kitchen counter.


Tonight (Saturday), I made a chicken-broccoli-pasta dish with half of a deli chicken. I also made chicken vegetable soup with the other half of the chicken, which we will eat Monday, a busy day for me and it looks like it will be rainy.


Sunday, I plan to cook two steaks on the grill. One we will eat with potatoes and salad, the other I will slice up and make into a steak salad later in the week.


This is a short week, starting on Saturday instead of Friday, and Phil will not be home for dinner one night. My other meal will be salmon cakes with stir fried vegetables.


I hope this will free me up to do other things during the weeknights, save money at the grocery store (not so many trips in, trying to decide whats for dinner tonight) and lighten the kitchen cleaning, at least for a few days in the middle of the week.


Do you have any suggestions?






4 comments:

  1. Two years already?? It's seems like the time has gone by soo fast!!! Love you!! Tirzah

    ReplyDelete
  2. First off...that plate/wipe board is a brilliant idea! One of the things that might help...anytime you bake anything, muffins, biscuits whatever, make a double batch and freeze the extras for other meals. I find it helps to freeze them before it's time to eat, otherwise they just get eaten and the extra work goes to waste! Getting all your veggies washed and chopped for the week is a big time saver too. Veggie prep is time consuming!

    So glad you blog! I LOVE reading about your life!

    ReplyDelete
  3. My only suggestion would be to include Glynn and I in your evening meal so I don't have to cook!

    ReplyDelete
  4. We always double up on everything we make to have leftovers for another meal. We love leftovers! We even grill enough veggies and meat for 2 meals at a time. I guess I never got out of the habit of cooking for boys - Bob thinks I make enough for boy scout troop - but he's not complaining.

    ReplyDelete